Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Perspectives

Day 6

I had to get up before 8am for registration for the Perspectives class. I have a nametag that I return at the end of each lesson and pick up at the beginning of each class. There’s one speaker a day, aiding to the reading we have every day. If I took this class at a college, it’d be a once a week class that lasts 15 weeks. Here, it’s a once a day class that lasts 15 days. So it’s a lot of reading and listening, but it’s worth it.

Today’s speaker was Jeff Lewis. It’s easier to discuss this stuff in person, so I’m just going to hit the major points. He discussed Genesis 1-11 as a whole, and then Genesis 12 with God’s promise to Abraham. In Genesis 1-11 the four main stories (creation and the fall of man; Cain and Abel; Noah; the Tower of Babel) all have the same pattern: Man sinned, God’s judgment, hope of redemption.
Other main points…
- intimacy with God should include involvement with the nations
- in God’s blessing, we discover God’s purpose and man’s responsibility
- God will grant you wisdom when you continually seek after it
- developing your major in college glorifies God, and not doing so dishonors Him
- Gentiles DID have hope in the Old Testament
- Christ is calling you to something that will illuminate a part of God’s character
- Are you living your life by your personal biases or by scripture?

From 9am to 12pm is Perspectives, so we all headed over to the cafeteria for lunch. After lunch we had time to do our reading and homework. I had one-on-one time with my group leader. She taught me about it’s not about converting people, it’s about discipling people to make them disciple-makers themselves. I had until dinner to get everything done, which I did. Tuesdays is Small Group time, so we ate as a small group for dinner, then headed over to Connel’s, a fifty’s style restaurant that has decent pricing for really big portions and awesome milkshakes. It was cool to be able to discuss on a person level things going on in one another’s mind and past. After almost three hours of bonding, we worked a little on memorizing scripture. We are supposed to memorize two scriptures a week, and if possible three. We walked while praying on the way back, and afterwards dispersed for the night.

I called my mom back, because I couldn’t talk when she originally called. She had a question about luggage for airplane travel. I updated my blog, and got to talk to my best friend for a bit. I found a place that was indoors that had light, a cool breeze, table and chairs, and a place to hook up my laptop so I don’t have to waste battery. It was sooo nice! That’s my new spot for working on my laptop…homework will be in the coed lounge with the REALLY comfortable couch.

Prayer requests: focus on God in my thoughts
time management

No comments: