Monday, July 2, 2007

Hare Krishna vs. Megachurch

Day 23
- Hare Krishna temple, woke up at 5:30am...at 5:45am all small groups met in one room, and we prayed until 6am. i don't know if you know anything about Hare Krishna but I didn't, so it was a really interesting experience for me. I've never smelled incense so potent before, and the parallels to Christianity was pretty creepy. After we got back to the campus - around 10am, we had small group discussions about what just happened. then we had free time for the rest of the day.
- after lunch, Kat (my roommate) joined me to get a haircut. She just got a trim, but mine was cut. It was about two and a half inches past my shoulders, and now… it's REALLY short. it's not wat i asked for. and you can't really see the layers, but oh well. more pictures will come eventually
- sat on a spider web, and the sack burst open with a million baby spiders. yeah........while i was waiting for my haircut...
- worked on hw
- during dinner, an ice fight broke out. it was mainly me and Samantha, but Jon Watson joined in. I meant to get the table two tables down, but I missed, and the ice cube bounced off of Mark’s head-which of course was hysterical.
- ultimate Frisbee has been super addicting. i understand why so many people play it now! We got a good game going, and it was a lot of fun. it was about 8 on 8. Jon Watson kept getting in my face anytime I had the frisbee, and it made me so angry, cuz he was always in my way! So I finally got back, ran as fast as possible, and hit the frisbee to the ground before he could catch it. And because there was a lot of frustration in that act, a noise similar to a grunt came out, and Jessie's all "Wow, Amy..you're playing aggressive." But I got my point across to him. lol We switched teams two more times, and the last time it was down to 4 on 4. THAT'S a lot of work, especially for the huge field we're playing. But it was so much fun!

Day 24
- work day…last time we tried to do a work day it didn't work out. But today it worked out, and I helped with windows, kitchen, cleaning up leaves, and the “trash bag game." This was a game invented by Brian to get everyone excited to clean out the garbage cans all over campus How to play? you trade a new garbage bag w/ a full bag
- we had a little over half an hour to get ready for lunch, because work day took longer than planned, but oh well. we did it.
- tour of Crystal Cathedral (humongous with statues and fountains and burial plots)
- evangelized w/ Amy Terry at a mall (half went to a different mall)
- attended Saddleback Church – megachurch, main pastor wrote Purpose-Driven Life...insane guitar player…patriotic music
- ate dinner at same mall, with time to shop…search for McD’s with Tracy, Josh, and Sarah…hit on after exiting a bathroom (yeah, a group of about 4 high school boys hit on me and sara as we were exiting the ladies' room)…bought earrings at claire’s and made quick target run (there was a target in the mall! how weird, huh?)
- listened to a sermon on the car ride back to campus...it was about pre-destination...it was really interesting, but I don't remember much, haha.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's a pretty building. Glad you posted a photo with the haircut.